Where the small playground is today, there was a train station in the 1880s. That’s how tourists traveled to Sonoma back then. The Plaza was lively, filled with bars, restaurants and hotels. When the train left town, it carried Sonoma fruit, cheese and other things to market. The train was good for business.
The small playground was built long after the train station moved to Depot Park (now a museum). Many soldiers returning from World War 2 thought Sonoma was a great place to raise a family. That’s why the Rotary Club of Sonoma Valley built this playground as a gift to the children of Sonoma in 1950.